Tiramisu – Peter’s birthday “cake”
Serves: many | Meals:
- 6 egg yolks
- 3/4 cup of white sugar
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1 1/4 cups of heavy cream
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 454 grams of mascarpone cheese
- 1/4 cup espresso at room temperature
- 2 tbsps rum
- ladyfinger cookies (1 package is more than enough)
- 1 tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
Start in the morning as it needs lots of “sitting time”.
- In a medium saucepan (not on heat), whisk together egg yolks and sugar until well blended.
- Whisk in milk and cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture boils. Boil gently for 1 minute, remove from heat and allow to cool slightly. Cover tightly and chill in refrigerator 1 hour.
- In a medium bowl, beat cream with vanilla until stiff peaks form. Whisk mascarpone into yolk mixture until smooth.
- On a plate, combine coffee and rum. Split ladyfingers in half lengthwise and dip very briefly in coffee and rum mixture. Soaking them will make the tiramisu soggy!
- Arrange half of soaked ladyfingers in bottom of a 7×11 inch dish. (Well so the recipe says. I used a 8×8 pan and it’s way easier to spread the creamy mixtures cause you don’t have to spread them too thin). Spread half of mascarpone mixture over ladyfingers, then half of whipped cream over that. Repeat layers and sprinkle with cocoa. Cover and refrigerate 4 to 6 hours, until set.