Raspberry, apple and almond crumble
Serves: 4 | Meals:
- 3 large tart apples – peeled, cored, quartered and sliced
- 3 tablespoons of granulated sugar
- 250g (9oz) of fresh or frozen raspberries
- 150g (1 cup + 2 tablespoons) all-purpose flour
- 25g ground almonds
- 1 stick of butter (chilled and cut into cubes)
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 25g slivered almonds
- vanilla ice cream or whipping cream
- Put the apples in a large saucepan. Sprinkle over 3 tablespoons of sugar and 3 tablespoons of water.
- Cover the pan, place over low heat and cook for 15 minutes, shaking the pan occasionally until the apples are soft but keep their shape.
- Stir in the raspberries, checking for sweetness, adding a little more sugar if taste is too tart.
- Transfer to the preparation dish and let cool.
- Put flower and ground almonds in a large bowl.
- Cut the butter cubes into the flour till the pieces can’t get any smaller.
- Rub the butter and flour with fingertips till consistency is that of breadcrumbs.
- Stir in the sugar and carry on rubbing for another minute.
- Stir in the slivered almonds.
- Spread the topping mixture over the fruit.
- Set the oven to 400F.
- Bake 30-40 minutes.
- Let cool and serve.