No-Fail Roast Chicken
- 1 chicken
- 2 or 3 sprigs rosemary or thyme
- 1 head of garlic, halved
- 1/2 onion
- 1 lemon, quartered
- 1-2 tbsp plus 1 tbsp butter
- 1/4 white wine
- 1 cup chicken stock
- Preheat oven to 400F.
- Sprinkle chicken cavity with salt and pepper. Place herbs, garlic, onion and lemon in cavity. Rub chicken all over with 1-2 tbsp butter. Sprinkle liberally with salt and pepper.
- Place chicken in a roasting pan. Roast, uncovered, basting several times, until chicken is cooked (a good hour [I usually roast for 1.5 hours]). A meat thermometer inserted into the thigh, closest to the body, should read 170F. Transfer chicken to cutting board and tent loosely with foil.
- Place roasting pan over medium heat.
- Add wine and scrape up bits from bottom. Turn up heat and add the chicken stock. Boil until reduced by half. Stir in remaining 1 tbsp of butter. Simmer a few minutes until the desired thickness. If you want to make a thicker gravy add one to two tablespooons of flour and maybe a bit of french onion soup mix!